Tuesday, April 29, 2008

AI- Week 11

"Hi Carly!" Don't you just enjoy saying that to her and loving that she is watching from her tv set tonight. Awesome dawg! I know people were shocked that she got out, but looking back I think she really did herself in with the "Jesus Christ Superstar" song. I think a lot of people probably didn't like that she sang it. Especially those old Kristy Lee voters. Not to mention we haven't liked her attitude in weeks! So farewell our tattooed friend.

So, dawgs, Neil Diamond. I'm not sure I'm likin it (said Danny Noriega style). My first and pretty much only memory of Neil Diamond is that I use to help this lady in the ward babysit and clean her house and she would BLAST Neil Diamond while we were cleaning. I pretty much fell out of love with him at that point. I have bad memories of the smell of Pinesol, this ladies ugly pink house and "Love on the Rocks" playing, no wailing, in the background. Anyway, that being said, there were a few choice performances tonight regardless.

First up Jason Castro, unlike the judges I will critique both songs tonight. Wait first let's backtrack, wasn't Paula in fine form? If you were not convinced by her scarey half-witted performance tonight that she is on drugs, then no one can convince you. VERY strange indeed! Anyway, back to Castro, I actually really liked his first song "Forever in Blue Jeans". I thought that it suited him. And when I close my eyes and listen to him I actually kind of like his voice. I think he is out of his league on such a large scale as this American Idol though, but I thought he did well. I picture him more of singing in like, let's say, The Pie Pizzeria on a Saturday night to college kids. Sad to say though, September Morn, oh boy! What was he thinking with this song. It was WAY out of tune! It was almost like he didn't even practice it. We don't buy that you had something stuck in your throat right before you were singing Jason. It was just bad! Didn't he also seem at the end with Ryan like he could pretty much care less about the whole show? The faces he makes to the audience are like the kid in your english class that has to go to the front and deal with the teacher or something. It just seems like it's a bit of a joke to him. He should go home, but he probably won't with the fan base of tweens that he has most likely picked up. I know that my kids aren't tweens yet because they still call him "man-lady" rather than thinking his longs dread are cute. I'm thankful for that. :-)

David Cook in my opinion stole the night! He was molten blazin hot! I couldn't decide which of his songs I liked better. I really loved his "I'm Alive" and then when I went back and re-watched both songs, I couldn't even decide. He did an AWESOME job! His songs seriously didn't even sound Neil Diamond or that they were most likely written in the 70's before he was born. And his voice was super awesome on both songs. I said his VOICE, because I pretty much want to reach in the screen and wipe the smirk off of that boys face! Other negatives, his hair was borderline Flock of Seagulls, tonight, I just don't dig off center faux-hocks. You think I would due to the fact that love The Cure and Robert Smith, but come on he doesn't have their same ambiance! Although his clothes were better, his fscial smirks were not. I just pretty much HATE his mannerisms. He has WAY to much wannabe macchismo when he sings. He just exudes over confidence, which isn't endearing. And they also need to get new lighting on the boy. Annie, I think that he is whiter than even us! He is definately using an albaster colored make up base. We can relate, but we are also not on a tv show with specialized lighting. Please help him out either with a bit of faux tan, which I am usually against, or just some better lighting colors on him.

Brooke White, I actually thought she was mid-level tonight. Definately had more confidence. Maybe she has figured out if she acts like she isn't good enough then she is going to be in the bottom. She is just lucky she got the pitty vote last week. I liked her first song "I'm a Believer" even though it was a bit corny. I thought she did well and actually reminded me a lot of Sheryl Crow. And I thought she did AWESOME on her 2nd song "I Am", even though I think she should have kept the words the same. Bad suggestion Mr. Neil Diamond! Hopefully she can hang on another week. If she stays on this course she should get better.

David ArcuLOTTA, this kids voice ROCKS!! It is beyond words awesome! I just can't believe that a person of his age has that voice. I thought "Sweet Caroline" was really good. I really can't say the same for "We're Comin to America", although I must give a shout out to the 3 cool black ladies that sing the backup on the "TODAY" part. Don't you wish you were them somtimes. Well not them on American Idol, but them if they were really singing back up for someone awesome. Poor ladies should really be with a decent group singing because I love um! But I still think that those Americana songs just seem so out of context unless you are at a 4th of July celebration or a elementary school program. But you know he can absorb the Kristy Lee Cook vote, so that's in his favor. I think the 2 David's are definately the front runners at this point! Yet there could not be more polar opposites!

And lastly Syesha. I felt bad for the poor girl that someone slapped that ridiculous long hippie wig on her! Sometimes I could give the hair department a smack down on AI. Part of her charm is her darling little black curly hair! I was trying to figure out tonight why I just don't like her, besides the fact that she didn't wear shoes (bothersome!!). She is a good singer, she is a pretty girl, but as I thought about it I realized that I don't like really high soprano voices. This is the same reason I didn't like the last winner Jordin Sparks. Also, I don't like "over acting" type of singers, where you just can't tell if they think they are in the school play or in a cheesy singing group like "Up with Kids" or something. I knew way to many people like this in madrigals in high school. This is the same reason that I didn't like Katherine McPhee a couple of years ago, she was an over-acting singer. So I don't think it's really her, it's just me. But unfortunately I think that her time may have come. Who knows, cause I predict her pretty much every week. lol I can hardly wait to see who they pull out of the woodwork next week that is making a new album to base the theme on. And also hoping someone has slapped Paula back into reality! Even if you don't like singing, the show is worth watching just for Paula and her antics!

2 comments:

Catherine said...

Yes, I was convinced long ago of Paula's drugs. I just felt vindicated with her antics last night. Wow. And her "booby trap" dresses are not suiting her well either. Alright, I'm going to have to disagree about David Cook. I hated his first song. He was trying to sound too rocker. But I loved his second song. And yes, his hair is odd - nice duck butt buddy. Jason Castro, I agree with you...I loved his first song. I thought it was perfect for him, but didn't care for his second song. I thought Brooke's second song was better - she seemed more comfortable on that stage. But, can I just ask where the heck do you find light blue metallic jeans? Wow, again. Syesha did alright. I agree she is totally an over-acting singer. But her voice is rockin'. And I have to say ArchuLOTTA IS the bomb, but "We're Comin' to America" was a little Mickey Mouse Club for me. And sadly I did notice the back-up singers more than him. I predict the bottom two will be Syesha and Jason. But we shall see.

Andrea said...

I know the results are already in, but I never got a chance to comment on this week's performances. I TOTALLY agree about David Cook and his smirks...so annoying! I would like him if it weren't for his wannabe sexiness. And I thought Archuleta did really well, although I agree with "There Coming to America" being a little cheesy for me. And poor Jason Castro--he keeps picking lame songs, but that's because he has to sing lame artists! But if he has to do a Neil Diamond song, I thought "Forever in Blue Jeans" was a good one for him.

Anyway, kind of sad for Brooke to go home, but she hasn't been all that awesome in the last little while. But I do think she has been better than Jason Castro and Syesha.