Tuesday, April 1, 2008

April Fools

So this morning before I leave to take Maren to pre-school I get a phone call. It's from an unknown number, most likely a cell phone. I normally wouldn't answer this kind of call, but Maren did the job for me. Gotta love kids! On the other end is a woman, unfamiliar voice, who asks if she can speak to Dave. "No", I reply, "he's at work, can I take a message?" Then she proceeds to tell me that she is calling in regards to the add that was placed for a live in maid. I was totally perplexed and said that she must have the wrong phone number because we aren't looking for a live in maid. I wanted to blurt out that I myself was the live in maid, but I bit my tongue! :-) So the lady proceeds to say "No, isn't this your phone number" (which I'm not going to put out here on cyberspace). Which yes it was my phone number, but still. Then this woman asks if she could have Dave's at work number and tells me that she will go ahead and talk to Dave about this matter since he is the one who placed the ad. I was TOTALLY mad at this point and said "No you can't call him at work" and then she says "well I'll call him back later". To which I proceeded to hang up without my standard good-bye. Right now I'm thinking that someone has played a cruel joke on Dave. Putting his name in a newspaper looking for a "live in maid" sounds like something that will get you all sorts of strange women calling you. So now I figure I better call Dave with this information. When I ask him about it he says "yeah", like he TOTALLY knows about the ad! And I say "so what's the deal?" Wondering has he lost it, or is he trying to be really nice to me, because he has finally recognized that my motherhood skills are very difficult and I deserve help! :-) And he says, "remember when you said that you would be willing to add another wife if she did all the cooking and cleaning?" And I just sat their stunned and mad and thinking Dave has gone apostate, still not getting the whole thing is a joke, until Dave starts laughing. Then I just felt dumb because he told me the lady that called me was a co-workers wife and I wasn't my usual nice self. Oh man, Dave has never pulled a prank like this before in our marriage, so you gotta give him props. When Dave is funny, he is really funny!

6 comments:

Andrea said...

Daven! That's HI LAR I OUS!! I can totally see you getting all pist on the phone. That's totally something Alec would do to me, but for some reason I wouldn't have guessed Dave as the type. I love it! I'm going to have to remember something like that to do to someone next year. Funny.

Lisa said...

That is sooo funny!
Good one Dave :)

Catherine said...

Steve and I both give props to Dave!! After you told me about this I was in complete shock. Dave didn't strike me as the type - it is totally out of character...but oddly so HIM!! Happy April Fools!! Now you'll have to come up with something awesome for next year to get back at him. ;)

Monica said...

That is so funny! It's the sense of humor that keeps us going, isn't it? I would have had the exact same thoughts as you!

holly said...

That is FUNNY! I can see how that totally got you because it's not like Dave to be a prankster.

Jen said...

That is so funny...variety is the spice of life!