Thursday, April 17, 2008

A Legacy


My Grandma Larson passed away this week. What an incredible woman! She lived a long life and a totally noble one. You know, seriously, I never remember my Grandma saying a bad word about someone or something. She was ALWAYS upbeat! A trait that I wish that I had inherited. She always seemed to find the good and joyous in all things. She didn't dwell on the bad. Every year she would write a birthday card to me and tell me how special and wonderful I was. It wasn't just a short phrase but it literally filled up the card. She always made everyone feel loved and welcome. She use to say she was our "biggest cheerleader". She was so awesome! She threw wedding showers (along with my aunts) for every grandchild. And she would make them so special! She made sure that we always used china, and not paper plates. Her family always got her best and finest, and not just the neighbors you know? WE were her special guests and treasures. She also had special nights where she would have individual sleep overs with the grandkids. Usually I would go with Andrea. She made it so special with a nice meal and breakfast. She would always read us a book and give us a bath and put powder on us with a big powder puff when we were finished. She had a pink bathroom and I loved it! She was also so supportive to my Grandfather who passed away several years ago. She was a wonderful example of a wife and mother to me. She wrote a book a few years back about herself and I loved reading it. I read every page. She had an AWESOME memory! It was so detailed. Something in her book that really touched me at the time and still now was the love she had for her mother. Who also passed away when she was younger, so I'm sure that Grandma understood me better than I thought with my own mother's passing. I reveled at the way that her mother and her children (my grandma and her siblings) worked and cooked and cleaned. And you know my Grandma talked about the way her mother had such strength and grace. I was so touched by it that I named my daughter Maren Elizabeth after my Grandma's mother Elizabeth. What a legacy that I passed down to my own daughter through this strong and powerful name. I am thankful to my Grandmother for being such a shining example. I am sad that she isn't hear to teach us anymore. But I am happy that she can be again with her dear husband, my Grandpa, and also with my sweet Mom. She loved my Mom and I hope the reunion was pure joy. Thank you to our Heavenly Father that allows us all to be together again!

Ann Clayson Larson 1913 ~ 2008 Ann Clayson Larson, 94, our beloved mother, grandmother and great-grandmother, passed away Monday, 14 April 2008 in Murray, Utah due to complications following a stroke. She was born 9 December 1913 at the family home in American Fork, Utah, the ninth of ten children born to Eli James and Ann Elizabeth Hawkins Clayson. Not expected to live long after birth, Ann often said that she had years of "borrowed time." Ann grew up in American Fork, graduating from American Fork High School in 1931. Beginning at a young age she studied piano and violin. Ann was a violin student of Leroy Robertson while attending Brigham Young University. Graduating in 1936 with a "Normal" diploma which allowed her to teach school, she later returned to BYU earning a BA degree in music and English. Ann served an LDS mission in the Eastern States from 1936-1938 and participated in the first Hill Cumorah Pageant. It was on her mission that she met her future husband, John Farr Larson, also an Eastern States missionary. They were married 26 June 1939 in the Salt Lake LDS Temple. They celebrated over 55 choice years together before his passing in 1994. Ann exuded a dignity and refinement on all occasions. Her proudest achievements were raising her five children, helping her husband through law school, and supporting him in his distinguished law career and as a juvenile court judge. She did this while running a model home and teaching young piano and violin students. Ann's love of music enriched the lives of hundreds around her. She was a violinist in the string ensemble Harmony Strings, which performed at various church and civic functions. She was also a member and officer in both the Alethian and Opera clubs and served as a church pianist until her passing. Ann was devoted to the Savior and His eternal plan. She gave a lifetime of devoted LDS Church service including serving on the YWMIA General Board, as a stake Relief Society counselor, and ward Relief Society president. She applied her gift with words in writing Relief Society lessons for the LDS church that were used for over 10 years. She was a hostess for 17 years at the LDS Church Office Building in Salt Lake City and served as a member of the Board of Directors of the BYU Alumni Association. Ann had a rare ability to make everyone feel important and loved. One of the great treasures of her family were the individual birthday cards she sent each year to her posterity. Each card contained a long handwritten note, expressing love to them and thanking them for all they did to help others and make the world a better place. This was a challenging feat considering her posterity now numbers over 100. Ann is survived by her five children, sons: J. Bruce Larson (Rosalie), Sandy; J. Craig Larson (Gail), Salt Lake; daughters: Ann Bailey (John), North Logan; Elizabeth Kennington (Dean), Sandy; Hatty Brown (Terry), Centerville; 56 grandchildren and 62 great-grandchildren. She was preceded in death by her husband, parents, and nine brothers and sisters; a daughter-in-law Toni Larson, a step-grandson Trey Stocking, a great-grandson Benjamin Hendricks and a step-great-grandson Austin Moore. The family wishes to thank the staff at Brighton Gardens, where Ann lived the last five years, for their kindness and care and the medical staff at Intermountain Medical Center for their compassionate care of Ann during her final days. Funeral services will be held Sat., 19 April 2008 at 1 p.m. at the Salt Lake Olympus Stake Center, 2675 E. 4430 S. (45th S), Holladay. Friends may call from 6-8 p.m. Friday, 18 April 2008 at Larkin Mortuary, 260 East South Temple, Salt Lake City and Sat. 11:30 a.m.-12:45 p.m. at the church prior to services. In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to the LDS Perpetual Education Fund. Online condolences at www.larkincares.com
Published in the Deseret News from 4/17/2008 - 4/18/2008

5 comments:

Andrea said...

You have a good memory, too! I'm glad you reminded me of the powder after the bath in the pink bathroom. And do you remember putting your "soiled" clothes in a bag and eating your "salad" (Jello)?

I've been reading her personal history the last few days. I love the nostalgic ways she describes her upbringing. It makes me want to bring up my children as well as her mother did, and as she did with her children. I also have read how she longed for her mother to walk in the room and rave over her first baby. I could totally relate. I wish I would have discussed with her more about losing a mother.

Rach said...

This is such a sweet thing to do for your grandma. And you are so lucky to have such sweet memories with her. Memories make life worth living. They get us though the bad days. Thanks for sharing them. Love you. Rach ;)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Holly said...

Margaret, that was such a beautiful tribute to your Grandmother!! She lived an amazing life and what a great example she was. My Grandma had a pink bathroom too and fun powder that we loved to use too!! I'm thinking of you today and I hope you're not TOO worn out by tonight.

skbkmjfamily said...

my thoughts are you with you. I am so sad for you. She seems like a wonderful women.