Wednesday, April 16, 2008

AI -Week 9

Just a sad commentary on my life quickly, if the only good thing I have to write about for a week is American Idol, what kind of life am I leading? lol I guess it's boring so that's good. Well, well, Mariah night. As I've informed in the past I'm not a huge Mariah/Whitney type fan, although I have to say I'm more of a Mariah fan than a Whitney, so tonight was the lesser of two evils. And actually I liked the night, in general it was pretty good surprisingly. So let's get started.. David ArchuLOTTA he was dang good tonight! I thought he blew it out of the water. For the first time I could totally see him as a star. I thought he was just completely flawless. I will say though, because I'm a girl and have to look at the fashions as well as the singer.... PLEASE whoever is dressing David ArchuLOTTA, don't put a 17 year old boy in leather pants. Who does that?? That could set him up for a lifetime of ridicule! Carly Smithson, I thought that she bombed tonight yo. She was off key to me most of the song. I thought the song ate her up. And does anyone else get the feeling that when she smiles a lot she is really faking it? Like she goes backstage and goes balastic afterwards, but presents this really fakish happiness on stage before she sings? And thanks to my sister Annie, I was able to notice the way she sang "you" the entire song (which it was a prime song for seeing her skills at singing the word you) and YES Annie, her singing of the word "you" is annoying! lol Syesha, okay dawgs I thought she was good tonight. I thought she was better than the judges did. She did a great job, the night was geared towards her though. I also thought that Syesha was smart to pick a song not many people really knew. She does "over-act" to me when she sings though which is why I think she is better suited for an acting job than a singing job. Brooke White, I'm not sure that I loved her version. I really thought she should have added a band with her tonight, but I guess the judges liked her bare bones version. Really I like her voice and I like her style, but does anyone else hold their breath until she is finished? She really makes me very nervous when she sings. I can tell she is full of nerves and I think she lacks some confindence. Some of that is good and endearing, but sometimes you have just got to show some cockiness you know? We want to know if we had you a recording contract that you can do it. Although, I still have to say I am a big fan of hers! I think she is truly talented and gorgeous! Kristy Lee Cook, lest you think I'm becoming a fan, let me warn you before this following statement that I am not. BUT I thought that she did well tonight. I thought this was probably her best performance, minus her hair. But I agreed with Paula and thought that was just the sort of song that would be a hit in the "country world". I really thought that she sang it well also. David Cook, well he really blew me away tonight as well. I thought that song was awesome! He has taken a lot to convert me to his style at times, but that was a REALLY cool version. One side note that I will make though is, during this last week I read an article about the alleged ripping of David Cook has made of song renditions on the show. Apparently most of the versions of songs he has sung have already been done by other bands and artists. This was very disturbing to me because they really say how original he is and seemingly he takes the credit on the show for being a song genius. But apparently this is not so. Case in point, the Billy Jean song, which seems to be one of his biggest "hits" on the show (not with me as everyone knows) was a ripped off version from an artist Chris Cornell(who some of you may recognize as being in some 90's bands such as Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and then Audioslave). I've posted it with my music there over on the side so you can be the judge. It's just disappointing because really I think a lot of the draw with his fans is that he seems to be so "original" and amazing. And he might be a good singer, but maybe he isn't as original as we thought or an amazing song arranger. He might not have the vision that we once thought. And he does act really cocky when he sings (like he needs to split the cockiness with Brookw White and then they will both have just enough), but when he gets to cocky I just picture his baby picture that they showed a few weeks ago and laugh inside. Because he had an even larger head then my own children which is quite large! lol And lastly our tree hugging friend Jason, I thought he did a good job. I really liked his version and it is so him. He is just that peace, love, exotic wannabe kind of guy. But it's is thing and he did a good job of it. He is quirky and I don't think he can win, but please let's keep him sticking around longer than country Kristy and Carly. Well there you have it! To me it was anybody's game tonight, but hopefully Carly could go home??? Pretty please?

7 comments:

Rach said...

Just a thought, Mr. Cook isn't the only one one the show who has plagiarized musical insparation form other bands. Mr. Daughtry ripped off "HIS" version of ring of fire from the band LIVE. So there you go. By the way MY maine man.... is to be on Late Night With Craig Ferguison. And funny enough he is wearing an AI T-Shirt. Funny ;) Got to love hem. Sigh.........

Andrea said...

Too bad Arculeta went first, because I think he would have seemed even better after those girls--all standing by the piano, trying to be Mariahish. Carly looked the best she has ever looked (covered the yucky tattoos), but she does nothing for me. Brooke White totally rushed her song at the end because she was nervous. But I liked her best of the girls. I just don't know what to do now that Michael Johns is gone! It makes me feel anger and hatred toward Carly, Kristy, and Syesha, because they should have gone before him.

And how about hoochie Mariah and her bronzed bosom? She could barely move from one position, lest she mess up her chest arrangement.

Beebs said...

Oh I totally know others rip things off. But I think the problem is that they are acting like he is original amazing, and he might be a good vocalist, but he is not making up the arrangements. At least I had never heard him mention before he was ripping the songs off from others. And hey, I'll have to watch Morrissey on Ferguson if I can stay up that late!

Rach said...

Well there is always Tivo. And I totaly agree with you about the judges acting all... So original.... I love it.... So fab. Puke... Hello People you are in the freaking music biz.... Whatever. Do they actually listen to music. Sometimes I just don't know. And by the way I really like Chris Cornells version of Billy Jean. Listening to that song reminded me of how much I like that guy.

Catherine said...

Oh, the bronzed bosom had to be endured one last time. Mariah is a strange character, to say the least! And finally Kristy Lee Cook has gone home!!! No more awkward stage moments with her. Thank heavens! David Cook also surprised me on Tuesday night. I loved him!! That was rockin' for sure. And I think Brooke dodged one last night because she was SUPER freaked out and strange this week. She must pull it out next week to stay in the game, that's for sure!

Kari said...

I was hoping for Carly to go home as well! And I share the same exact feelings about Brooke, right down to holding my breath until she is finished! I do like her though! But she needs to start kicking it up a notch, especially in her confidence!

Nici said...

I have to say, (btw, this is Nici from Maren's dance) that Dave Cook did say that he didn't arrange those songs. He did give credit to Chris Cornell on one of the shows for the Billie Jean and said most of the arrangement he finds on iTunes. I still like him, and am glad that Kristie is gone!
Also, did anyone else think that Mariah was lip-syncing??