Monday, April 21, 2008

5K for Mom










So on Saturday me and most of my siblings and sister in laws (and oh yes even my sister in law Aimee who is several weeks preggers, ran an AWESOME race and smoked most of us! Jealous!) ran a 5K in my Mom's name for Huntsman Cancer Institute. Even though I was really nervous about it, it turned out to be a fun event and a personal challenge. I have always wanted to run a 5K, but I don't think I would have ever really pushed myself to even enter had it not be for my Mom and my brother Adam who rangled us all in. Now I would like to achieve actually running the whole thing some day. So I'll continue to train for it, even though I'm so sore now from Saturday, I don't know when I'll be able to move again! lol But it was really cool being at the race with my siblings and thinking of Mom. I enjoyed running through downtown SLC, I mean when else could you do that ! And thinking really how beautiful it was there! It was such a metaphore for life really. We all wanted each other to finish and we all wanted each other to do our own personal best. So we all told each other to run (or walk) the best that you can and we would see each other at the end. So even though we weren't really with each other on the run, we were thinking of each other, at least I was, and wondering how the others were doing. And also wondering if Mom was seeing us and if she was proud of us to come outside of our comfort zone for most of us. And then it was really awesome running to the finish line and seeing each other. Seeing Dave on the sideline cheering for me, and seeing my brother Adam totally attentive perched high up on a light pole waiting for each one of us and cheering his heart out, looking proud of us, even though I know he had been waiting for 15 minutes! lol And then how awesome seeing each other after the race as we finished, first seeing Mary and then Annie and Amy and Catherine and the rest giving them all hugs and grateful to be together again and proud that we did our best! It just reminded me of how heaven must be. That when you get there you have a cheering section. And you think of everyone else and hope that they make it there and live worthy to be together again. All I could think about was making sure each one of us finished and we were all there at the end together! Not to mention a metaphore in life seeing many a hilarious thing along the way, like men running in spiderman suits, and weird people flailing around trying to run fast, and other people who are running so slow that you pass them up walking. It was an awesome time! And I was happy to do it and look forward to many years to come doing it together with my siblings and thinking of Mom. We miss ya Mom and hope you were proud!
ps- For some reason I don't have a pic of Marianne (Adam's wife) I'm sure cause she was running too fast!

5 comments:

Catherine said...

That was the best!! You did an awesome job Margs!! I'm excited to keep training with you - we WILL run it all in the fall. And it's funny you bring up the metaphor, because I thought of the same thing when I finished and was trying to get back to the family and wait for all the rest. I loved it! I'm sure Mom was proud of us for accomplishing something so neat. Love ya girl!

Monica said...

What an accomplishment! You should be so proud- I know your mom would be!

skbkmjfamily said...

Margie

I am so proud of you. This was more than getting a certain time, this was an awesome time for you to be close to your siblings. One thing at a time. You accomplished something, and one day you will do it your way. I am so excited for you.

Andrea said...

Good memories. It is a great metaphor of life. And I thought it was so cool running, oh I mean walking downtown Salt Lake, too... definitely a different perspective then the usual times I am in the car late for something in downtown Salt Lake.

holly said...

Again, I am crying as I am writing to you. That is AWESOME! I'm proud of you for finishing. I don't know if I could.