Tuesday, April 22, 2008

AI- Week 10

On a first wonderfully happy note, I was jumping up and down last week with excitement. If you thought this was due to our country cutie Kristy being gone, you were right! I didn't even feel bad about her "I have no horse" comment. Because actually the next day they showed her talking to Ryan on a radio program and she said she was "happy to be home and riding her horses". So, which story is true Kristy, did you loose your horse or not? Either way, I'm glad she is doing that rather than annoying me with her country crooning on AI! So, I was really excited for Andrew Lloyd Webber night, after all I admire TONS of his work. I thought this could be a real chance for a lot of contestants to show of their vocal range as well. Or should I say, show off their lack of vocal range. Boy, was I sorely disappointed in this night! I have to say first off, before AI top execs allow contestants to pick songs, they should have a tutorial of the artists work and background. Like how amazing Andrew L Webber is and that he has written many more great songs besides Phantom songs! How many Phantom songs can we pick? Obviously this was the only musical that any of the contestants had ever heard of, thus the only choices they made. (Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Phantom, but I could have picked a different song for pretty much everyone on the stage!) Boy were their some major mistakes made throughout the night! You know the singing is bad, when I don't have any clothing critques to make, except for one which I will make at the end and maybe you know what is coming. :-)

Check this out, I am making a paragraph. Per my brother Adam's request, I thought I might try a few breaks in the writting of this AI's comments. He says my long wrap sheets on AI are too much to handle, although he still reads through them, they seem daunting. So maybe this one will not seem so much so. He let me know that I should keep paragraphs to about 3 sentences. So I'm already over on this one! :-)

Let's start at the very beginning, with Syesha. In my opinion, she was the best of the night. Of course, the night was FULLY geared toward her and her skills. It COULD have been geared towards ArchuLOTTA, but that comes later. Anyway, I thought she did a good job. Actually, I thought it wasn't her best singing that she has ever done, she had a lot of off notes and runs. But to me it was her best performance that she had ever done. But obviously dawgs, I have been saying for weeks she is destined for broadway. How come it is that the king of the dawg pound, Randy, never knew she had these skills? That puzzled me! Randy, have you not been watching the show, or have you not been reading this little blog here?

Jason Castro, that was pretty much the worst song that I can imagine him picking. And he did pretty much the worst singing job that I can imagine being done on that song. Please don't admit on a televsion show about music and singing that you never "KNEW a cat sang that song"!! WHAT? I have nothing more to say! He should be the one gone, even though I have loved his easy breezy style thus far, that was just too much to be forgiven. But alas folks, I think he is not the one to go this week. Our poor sad Brooke Walker! What's the deal toots? She has let us down one to many times now and I'm afraid it is her time. I totally agreed with Paula on the critque of tonight's performance. She shouldn't have stopped! A better way might have been for her to let the accompaniment keep playing and act like it was intentional until she remembered the words. Come on, pretty much the cardinal rule of performance is to keep going no matter what. Not even in church would I stop a song and start over. I know it is stressful, but Paula was totally right, this is the biggest platform out there. I'm sorry, I love Brooke, I think she is talented but this was a major flub! I sat there in pure shock as she did it. This was the week that she TOTALLY needed to shine and she just didn't deliver. Not only was the start over bad, but the song was a poor choice! I totally wanted to see her sing a song from the production of Song and Dance "Tell me on a Sunday", at least that would have been my pick for her. It could have been really cool to see her belt that out on the piano with a lot of emotion. To me all the song showed was that she had lack of range and not much to her vocals. Of course you know I've mostly been wrong on who is going, but I'm afraid it could be her time. The only thing that could save her now is if she gets the pitty vote, which she did not get from me tonight dawgs!

Okay, now on to ArchuLOTTA, poor misguided ArchuLOTTA. PLEASE, why don't you call me when you need to make a song choice. Don't consult whoever you are consulting. I know the judges semi-digged it, but I totally agreed with Simon, although I have even harsher thoughts than he did. That song was like a Kenny Loggins cop out! Why ArchuLOTTA did you not sing "Close Every Door" from Joseph!!? This could have totally been his night to shine his vocals and in my opinion he BLEW IT! He could have really made an impression with how awesome of a singer he was with a ballad like "Close Every Door". This was a major ArchuLOTTA mess up in my opinion! No votes for you ArchuLOTTA! (Oh But did you not love how ALW told him to open up his eyes for both his critques. Loved it!! Hilarious!)

Carly Smithson, okay, okay tonight she was good. But I still have to say she was a bit pitchy dawg. She is not as awesome as she thinks she is. But she made the right song choice for one. I'm not really into "Jesus Christ Superstar" (actually I think it is a bit sacreligious, so I actually don't know much about it), but her song was a good choice for her. She even looked good tonight! So for once this week, I will give Carly a pass, you shouldn't go this week dawg, although that pains me to say it!

Oh David Cook, so much to say here peeps. Yes you guessed it, he was my one and only fashion critque of the night. What was with his pirate handkerchief hanging off his pants like a skirt/belt thingie doing? Dave thought it was in omage to Aerosmith, but I thought it was just plain nasty! It reminds me of hideous boho handkerchief belts that many a misguided lady here in Utah wore about 3 years back. But not only did his belt-scarf offend me, but so did his music. NO David Cook, you are not our sexy mysterious phantom we have all been dreaming of, even though you think you are! Don't try to lull me into your life with your version of "Music of the Night" and your extremely bad try at steamy eyes looking at the camera! I think the judges must have been deaf because that was horrible! Even though ALW has written a lot of ballads, there are plenty of rock type songs out there that he could have sung. Yet another Phantom song though, because for some reason it is the only musical any of these misguided youth bothered to listen to or even look at. His performance almost got the dreaded tivo gong from me (the fast foward button)! I only watched the whole performance so I could rip you to shreds here on my blog. He did a couple power notes, but so what! David, work on the attitude and sultryness for next week dawg!

There you have it, my sum up, think it's Brooke out, although it should be Jason. But Jason has too much of a fan base I think to actually get him kicked out yet. But, you all know how well I do on the prediction front so far. Not that great, so take it for what it is worth! :-) Peace!

PS- If you read my blog using Gogglereader, I'm told that you don't also get the music. But just so you know I always try to give you a nice AI sampling of music on the side there so head to my page to hear it!

5 comments:

Catherine said...

All I can say is WHAT THE HECK BROOKE WHITE?!?! She sealed the deal to go home right there. I actually felt uncomfortable watching her after that start/stop thing. Wow! Even I know from dance that you should NEVER stop at any point. Fake it 'til you make it Brooke! I loved Syesha's performance. It was perfect for her, and she is destined for Broadway for sure. I totally hated David Cook and Jason Castro. I actually didn't like Carly, but I think she was dressed exceptionally well - for her that is. I could tell she tried to smile the whole time because the judges get mad at her for seeming too "angry". So, that bothered me, because I knew she was being fake. And ArchuLOTTA - he was aight. Not my favorite, but probably safe. There ya go.

Rach said...

LOL! I am so glad you voiced what I was thinking and feeling. That was the most embarrassing thing I have witnessed in a really long time. It was painful. I didn't know if I wanted to laugh or cry. And poor ALW had to sit there and hear his songs MURDERED. David Cook was Hilarious. I am sorry(not really) but I was laughing so hard. And that yucky eye thing he keep doing.... It totally made me UNCOMFORTABLE!!!!! I get the hebijebies just thinking about it. EW!!!! Okay I have said my peace. Have A Great Day! ;)

Denise said...

Hey! Did you read my song picks on the board? Great minds think alike. I totally wanted Brooke to do Song and Dance (although I picked Unexpected Song instead of Tell Me On A Sunday) and I chose Close Every Door for David A, too! See, they just need to listen to us.

I could not believe everyone wanted to do Phantom. I thought that was the one musical nobody would even think of doing, and THREE of them chose Phantom songs?! Whatev. At least Carly got talked out of hers; ALW was right, Superstar was much better for her (although I hate the lyrics and the whole show is sacrilegious...and yet, my pick for Carly was also from Superstar, "I Don't Know How To Love Him". So I'm a hypocrite).

Andrea said...

Yeah, Broadway night...not so much. Syesha is indeed suited for Broadway, and showed it in this performance. I actually liked Archuleta a lot. I thought they should have given him more props for making his song less Broadway and more contemporary. I thought it was pretty good. Brooke White! That was so uncomfortable!! At least she didn't try and speak afterwards when they were giving critiques. I don't like when she talks too much.

p.s. nice paragraphs.

Nici said...

So how shocked are you that Carly is gone?? I was sure that Jason would go. I am sorry, but Memory? And Phantom is not even one of my favorite musicals. Why did everyone feel the need to pick a Phantom song? Oh well. Sorry Carly.