Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Mothers


I realize that yes this a late Mother's Day post but I just had to share a few thoughts. First off, I miss my Mom really bad right now. She just had a way of making everything right. She was the ultimate caring person. She always thought of others feelings, needs, wants. She was always there and she always had a wonderful listening ear and soft kind words that seemed to make everything seem "okay" in life. In the past week I had a sister and a brother have their first children. It is a happy time, but at the same time I find myself really yearning for the things that my Mom has missed out on. I like to picture her holding those special spirits in her arms before they came down. I'm sure she did. She loved babies!! My sister Catherine had twins and I'm sure that my Mom yearns to be here for her physically as much as my sister Catherine yearns for her too. I find myslef wishing I could be as good and as supportive as my Mom would have been, yet I know I'm not. My Mom was everything! But at the same time, I find myself so grateful these past few days for the bond of sisterhood that my Mom gave me. That I was lucky enough to have 4 awesome sisters, not to mention sister-in-laws and friends and a spectacular mother in law who help nuture me through my "rough" spots. I think in those situations my Mom has personally helped send those people to me. My mom use to always say something to me that I will never forget "friends come and go but you will always have your siblings". I realize the truth to this more and more as I get older and I am thankful for the times that my Mom made me drag along a younger sister with my friends in my jam packed suburban, or when she made me play with a sister even though I was told old to play with barbies, or when she made me tend my younger sibilings and walk their crying behinds around the family room to sooth them. My Mom taught me pretty much everything, but most of all how to try to be a mother. I am so so thankful for those around me who truly love and care for me and accept me for who I am these days. Life has had many turns and roundabouts for me in the past few years and I see that the hand of my Mom is so strong in life sending precious souls my way, more than I ever had before. I truly cherish each one of my "sisters" whether related or not for the care that you give me. And I am thankful every day that I was raised by one class act Mom!

On another note, Mother's Day is usually very built up in our minds as mothers. We invision beautiful breakfasts in bed with fresh fruit and waffles, as well as flowers and maybe even a whirlwind trip we could get whisked away on. But rarely do these things happen for me Mother's Day (actually I should say these things have NEVER happened for me on Mother's day! lol) But this year wasn't even about the gifts or the dishes that my husband did or DIDN'T do, but about the cute cards and thoughts my kids gave me. I was truly spoiled by them! Maren can barely write, but did her best job on drawing a picture and writing her name. And then a recieved the most darling heartfelt letter from Matthew. It is truly one of my most prized possessions. I have to share it with you all(although I have correced the spelling. lol):

Dear Mom-
I love all you do. You alwaysed cared about me. You raised me and Maren and Will with lovliness. You were always there when I had a problem and when you weren't there I thought of how strong and courageous you were. You always helped me and cared about me and when I was scared you always came. You always told me it was okay. And when you had fun with me I had joy. When I was stung by a bee you helped me. I love how nice you are and when we need help we can look up to you.
Love-
Matthew

I only hope that someday I can live up to all that he thinks of me. What a sweetie! Thoughts and letters like these are the true presents of motherehood for me!

3 comments:

Andrea said...

I couldn't agree more. Mom was totally a class act. We are very lucky to have her example in our lives. And I'm glad that you learned some lessons from having me as your constant tag-along sister--patience for sure.

Love Matthew's letter. So sweet! He really tells it like it is.

Catherine said...

Now that I'm nice and crying. Good times with post-pregnancy hormones. :) I love you so much girl! We really are so lucky to have each other as sisters. I have really needed you as a mom these past few weeks, and am sooo lucky to have you as one of my moms. Thank you girl!

Monica said...

Hi! That was such a touching post! I've been thinking of you lately! I think we will start dance in the fall-did you register Maren yet? I would like to get in the same class if I can.

I would also love to have Maren play and to chat with you! I hope all is well!