Monday, July 30, 2007

School!



Matthew started school on the 25th. First grade! The whole day away from his mother. He is loving it. I'm getting used to it. I think Maren is the most sad, even though those two fight constantly. When we go to wait for the bus to drop Matthew off Maren loves to sit on the porch and wait and often times she'll bring out Doggie (Matthews favorite stuffed animal from the time he was 2)to wait for the bus with us. Today was interesting, Matthew got ready way late. He came up and had on some small soccer shorts and a short t-shirt. Not school attire. So I freaked and he changed. Then came up 1 minute before the bus and we couldn't find is back pack anywhere. And I was hobbling around in pain since I have been having major knee issues (which is a WHOLE other story). So, I sent him off to the bus anyway without it, but not before giving him a major talking to, where let's just say I wasn't the poster child for good moms. And so when he got home I asked him if he felt bad all day that I had gotten mad at him and he said "No, sometimes that just happens in life, you gotta get mad." He is so classic! I love that kid! He even had his first "hot" school lunch today, pizza day! He said he loved it and that "Mom they even have chocolate milk there in these little boxes." Oh the joys of childhood and school lunch. I still miss the peanut butter squares they served at ours. :-)

2 comments:

Andrea said...

I can't believe how grown up Matthew is! Ah, pizza day..yum!

Matthew IS so classic. He always has some wise words to share--many "valuable lessons." I love the ability to forgive and forget that children seem to inherently possess. Because let's just say, I have had my moments of not so ideal mothering skills as well, especially when it comes to interesting outfits and being late for some reason.

Catherine said...

It is true...sometimes you gotta get mad. He looks so grown up with his back pack and all. I love it! And I'm surprised he requested the hot lunch, however pizza does sound tasty. Whenever Mom made me take hot lunch (which was about once a year), I loathed it. It was always something nasty like biscuits and gravy. I'm glad he likes school though, that would be better than feeling sad. Go Matthew!