Saturday, November 22, 2008

History


So a while back Mimi (Dave's Mom) discovered something totally interesting in her family history. She discovered that she had a great great great great (or something like that) grandmother who had the name Maren! Spelled just the same way! As well as another ancestor even further back who also had the name Maren. I was totally shocked because either people have never heard of this name or they totally love it. So I had no idea Maren would actually have an ancestor with that name. And the other thing that was so interesting was that in the hospital I was really adamant about the way Maren's name was spelled. Even my own mother wanted me to spell it a different way. But I really had to have it with the M.a.r.e.n spelling. Anyway, then after discovering that we figured out that Mimi's great great grandparents were buried in the Draper Cemetery which is just about 5 minutes from our house. Her great great grandparents were very prominent in Draper and owned a large farm. Her grandfather Peter was known as a great healer through the priesthood and people said that they called on him to bless them before they went to see a doctor. Anyway, so Helen and I set out to find the headstone. The first time we went we must have practically searched the entire cemetery with no luck. The second time we went Helen walked right up to it. She must have some psychic in her! Anyway, it was really neat to see it and see Dave and Helen's ancestors. And in some way to feel a part of it after reading about their lives in history books. They were really strong people and both of them also crossed the plains and sacrificed to be a part of the Church. It was also really neat because the Church has marked their headstones with a special marker indicating that they were pioneers. It says "Faith in every footstep" (That is what those gold square markers are in the corners) What a neat legacy and I'm glad we finally found it!

4 comments:

Rach said...

Yay! I am so excited that you found it, so you could see it for your self! Isn't it amazing how going to the grave of an ancestor creates a connection with them. I am so glad for you guys. Gabe had to do a report on a family member that migrated to the U.S. We did it on my great great grandmother, and funny enough she and Gabes birthdays are on the same day. It is so fun to find out thoes kinds of things. I love it!

Kelly said...

Magic Eraser!

Monica said...

Wow, where has the time gone?! Why do I feel like I've missed out on so much of your blog!

First off-love the Halloween pictures-your kids are so cute. Thanks for posting a picture of Briley-it's fun to see those dance pictures.

I can't believe Will was on the billboard-and it totally looks like him! That is so cool!

Hope all is well with you-looks like you've been busy!

Catherine said...

Very cool! I still think the whole Maren thing is amazing!! And even better is that Steve's ancestors and Dave's ancestors probably knew each other. So neat! Steve and I will have to go check out the cemetery now.